[okfn-discuss] Open Science Tranlsations

Michael Chelen mike at opensci.info
Tue Sep 16 23:04:36 UTC 2008

Excellent points. As open access can bring knowledge to people that
speak the same language, so can it bridge the gap between languages.

Two practical considerations that may help this effort progress are
licensing and software.

What license terms are relevant? Is translation considered a
derivative work, and if so, what licenses can be recommended for those
interested in seeing their content translated?

What software and techniques can be used? Even if many people are
willing to contribute, it is important to find ways to efficiently
accomplish the goal.

I am not very familiar with current translation systems, but one
method I am aware of uses sentence fragments to speed translation.

Applied to scientific papers, this can increase translation
productivity in that common libraries can be applied to a given paper,
and then expanded by contributors for fragments that are specific to
an area of science, or even that particular paper.

Doing some searching brought up this list of open-source translation
software, it might be a good starting point for investigation:
http://opentranslation.aspirationtech.org/index.php/Open_Source_Translation_Tools

Also, this might be interesting thing to bring up on the OKFN open
science dlist.

Thanks for the insightful post,
-Mike