[okfn-discuss] mapping European OERs

Ahrash Bissell ahrash at creativecommons.org
Mon Sep 29 20:51:47 UTC 2008

Hi Jaroslaw and the rest of this list,

First, apologies for missing the chat earlier today. I had a conflict and
could not join until it was over. I read the transcript briefly and will try
to join future calls.

Second, in response to Jaroslaw's request below, we already have an
extensive database with exactly this information, designed in Semantic
Mediawiki format and available for anyone to contribute to. We have not yet
formally launched this resource, called ODEPO (Open Database of Educational
Porjects and Organizations) because we want to first publish a report based
on the data, but that should happen soon, and the database is already live.
Visit: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/ODEPO

Once you create an account (like all wikis), you can add any organizational
info you would like. We strongly encourage you to include descriptions of
the project as well. The information within can be sorted, exported, and
subject to many different types of analysis. We are also extending the
functionality of the software to automate certain features, enable
contribution of additional fields of interest, and more. If you have any
specific ideas for how this resource can be made even more useful, please
let us know. We will also be combining this wiki with our wiki-based mapping
tool <http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Open_Education_Events> (currently set
to only display upcoming open education events) to geolocate all of the OER
projects within on a map.

Rather than duplicating effort, I would encourage you to use ODEPO. Feel
free to send any questions our way.

Thanks,

- Ahrash Bissell (ahrash at creativecommons.org)
- Jane Park (janepark at creativecommons.org)

Hi all,

i'm trying to put together a comprehensive list of european (in a broad
sense - not only EU, but also surrounding countries such as Ukraine) OER
organisations, projects and key people.

I have set up a simple wiki webpage here:
http://mappingeuropeanoer.jottit.com/

Please add your project and projects you know. We are trying to create a
comprehensive list of european OER people and organisations for use in
networking activities.

all the best
Jaroslaw Lipszyc