[okfn-discuss] Open Knowledge Definition and Open Sources

Tim Baumann jayday at gmx.de
Fri Apr 3 08:13:39 UTC 2009

Hello,

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> No the definition is definitely intended to include sources: "The work
> must also be available in a convenient and modifiable form."
>
> If this is not clear we should add a mod to the definition or at least
> an explanatory note.

I would suggest adding at least an explanatory note but would consider
it even more practicable to adjust the license. A "convenient and
modifiable" form is too vaguely expressed. Coming back to movies, to
make an example, it can be even the film itself being the only thing
required. Since the (final) work is  already in a convinient and
modifiable form. As long as you can load it into your favourite film
editing software the work fulfills the defintion's requirements. So
there is no underlying material needed in order for the work to be Open
Knowledge. I would really recommend to include the expressions "sources"
and/or "underlying material" (or "underlying data" in case of more
abstract knowledge like the contents of databases) and something which
states that the sources however they might look like have to be complete
in a way that the final work can be re-assembled using these.

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> I think it is great you are doing something here  -- as you say clear
> definitions are needed (by the way: is it the case that archive.org
> will let you upload stuff with a CC Non-Commerical license? I thought
> that they restricted to CC by and by-sa but may be wrong).

There is no restriction. You can choose there any CC license you want.
It is also possible to upload movies to the Archive which are not CC
licensed. In this case users are only allowed to watch the movies on the
Archive's pages. I don't know however if the latter are tagged then Open
Source movies. I consider that only the CC licensed movies are tagged
this way Example of an "Open Source" by-nc-nd movie in the Archive:
http://www.archive.org/details/Kinetic_Art_Demo_Video.

Tim