[okfn-discuss] Project logos/images on project pages?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Sat Aug 29 11:56:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:40 AM, John Dalziel<john at crashposition.com> wrote:
> I see you're looking for some design help. My background is in graphic
> design. Of all the projects I think I feel closest to Weaving History, and
> I'd be happy to try and come up with something. Do you have any thoughts
> about style, colour etc ?

Dear John,

Great to hear from you! It would be fantastic to have an icon for
Weaving History. Perhaps something incorporating maps and timelines?
Or threads and events? What do you think? Also how do you think the
appeareance of the site could be improved generally?

My feeling is that ultimately it would be nice to have a set of icons
for all OKF projects, working groups, etc., and a 'house' visual
style, which was clean, simple, and colourful. Preferably keeping a
white background and black (medium sized serif?) text. Re: icons I
really like bevelled edges and blocks of colour.

I've always been fond of Otto Neurath's work with the Isotype
Institute, in terms of look and feel.

  http://www.fulltable.com/iso/
  http://www.fulltable.com/iso/rp/02.jpg
  http://www.fulltable.com/iso/images04/07.jpg
  http://www.fulltable.com/iso/images01/05.jpg
  http://www.fulltable.com/iso/images01/20.jpg
  http://www.fulltable.com/iso/images04/04.jpg

You may also be interested to see our new logo for CKAN, which Karen
Aue and Jeff Koh kindly designed for us - and which is now live on the
site.

  http://ckan.net/images/ckan_logo_fullname_long.png
  http://ckan.net/

Do others have any ideas?