[okfn-discuss] Mendely: beyond PDF, annotations in general, other thoughts (some OT)

grahamperrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Fri Dec 4 17:35:40 UTC 2009

Mr. Puneet Kishor wrote:

> - HTML attachments are now indexed for full text search
>    (note that this will not apply to existing attachments)

0.9.5 was released yesterday but that feature doesn't work for me, it's
amongst the issues gathered at
<http://twitter.com/grahamperrin/status/6311051506>.

> As far as I understand, for now there is no across the board standard way
> of annotating PDFs.

I gathered some information back in March,
<http://groups.diigo.com/group/Diigo_HQ/content/549987> but I don't know
whether it is (or was) up-to-date. Certainly not comprehensive.

(Very OT from bibliographic indexes:
<http://groups.diigo.com/group/Diigo_HQ/content/587312> looked at
annotations from a Diigo perspective.)

> Apple Preview's annotations are not visible in …

When that happens: in Preview, try Save As…
— that usually does the trick. I assumed that the problem was on my machine
(it's a bit hacked) … but if other people see the bug we should report it to
Apple.

> <http://shebanator.com/2009/11/02/open-government-and-pdf/>

Thanks for that … I can see both sides of the argument (and I often see
people using PDF in amusing ways) but predictions such as

>> The end result would be that most people would
>> only be able to view government documentation
>> through the website of some sort of “trusted” intermediary

are not very visionary ;)

Back to Mendeley: it's promising, thanks for the tip. Good that they're no
longer limited to PDF.

If you're using Mac, or Windows with Safari, it should be interesting to
share files in WebArchive format but first: I'm not sure whether
<http://feedback.mendeley.com/pages/4941/suggestions/405656> is a blocker to
sharing files in general…

Regards
Graham