[okfn-discuss] Art/Artist/Gallery/Show Datasets

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Dec 4 19:00:25 UTC 2009

On 04/12/09 16:55, Jonathan Gray wrote:

> My guess would be the same as Rufus's - I'm not aware of anything
> explicitly open, but would love to hear if you find anything.

I'll see what I can add.

> Some thoughts about leads:
>
>   * Possibility of compiling this kind of information from public
> domain (i.e. old, out of copyright) sources? Especially
> bibliographies, catalogues, encylocpedias and so forth. I would expect
> that there must be *plenty* of useful information out there - albeit
> in a non-structured, non-machine readable form. Possibility of using
> OCR to get 50% of way there (especially if publications use standard
> formatting/typesetting) and crowdsourcing remaining 50% putting
> everything under a nice explicit open license. ;-)

Yes that sounds good. It's a shame I'm not in academia as that might be
a good project for a university.

>   * Looking to cultural heritage institutions in the US - especially
> government affiliated ones. Then could look to see if any of them
> could potentially be classed as Federal (like Library of Congress) and
> take the 'Federal government material in the public domain' route.
> Also possibility of doing FOI requests, even potentially on public
> sector organisations in the UK (e.g. via What Do They Know).

Some work has been done on APIs at US institutions.

There's the V&A API in the UK, but as ever it's noncommercial -

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/information/information_apiterms

- Rob.