[okfn-discuss] Fwd: Open Video Conference: Call for proposals

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Feb 19 16:55:16 UTC 2009

This looks interesting!

J.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elizabeth Stark <emstark at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 4:51 PM
Subject: [Commons-research] Open Video Conference: Call for proposals
To: commons-research at lists.ibiblio.org

Please spread the word about this event we're organizing to launch an
international movement for open video, and let me know if you have any
questions.

Please circulate this notice far and wide.
Open Video Conference: call for proposals
** Submission deadline: March 19 **
We are now accepting proposals for panels, workshop sessions, demo
sessions, and other programming for the inaugural Open Video
Conference in New York. Join us and over 400 participants during our
groundbreaking two-day conference and make your imprint on the online
video space.
Visit http://openvideoalliance.org/proposals/  to make a submission.
Open Video Conference
June 19-20, 2009
New York City
40 Washington Square South (NYU Law School)
The Open Video Conference
The conference is a co-production of the Yale Law School Information
Society Project, the Participatory Culture Foundation, Kaltura, and
iCommons. The conference will feature talks from internet luminaries,
panels and discussions, screenings of video art, and demonstrations of
the newest internet video technology. We expect more than 400
participants. Here are some goals for the gathering:
 1. Bring together stakeholders in the online video space (video
makers, coders, lawyers, academics, entrepreneurs, etc.) for
cross-pollination and development of the Open Video movement.
 2. Raise public interest and awareness around the Principles for an
Open Video Ecosystem, a community effort to define best practices in
online video.
 3. Raise the public profile of video creators and artists working in
the online space.
What Types of Proposals are You Seeking?
We are requesting proposals and ideas for panels, presentations,
workshops, and other sessions that will address how we can shape
online video and the public debates around the medium. Proposals may
be intended for the main conference track, or for more focused
unconference-style sessions. Proposal topics may be legal, technical,
or cultural in focus, though we encourage proposals in all relevant
areas. The more complete and fleshed out a proposal, the more likely
it will be accepted—but we welcome the submission of all good ideas.
We are also seeking submissions of video art to showcase the creative
potential of artists in the open video space.
To submit a proposal or idea for Open Video, please visit
http://openvideoalliance.org/proposals/. The deadline for submissions
is March 19, 2009. If you have any questions about the Alliance, the
conference, or the submission process, please contact Ben Moskowitz at
conference at openvideoalliance.org .
Why is Open Video Important?
YouTube and other online video applications are rightly celebrated for
empowering end-users; however, online video lacks some of the
essential qualities that make text and images on the web such powerful
tools for free speech and technical innovation. Email, blogs, and
other staples of the open web rely on ubiquitous and interoperable
technologies that have low barriers to entry; they are massively
decentralized and resistant to censorship or regulation. Video,
meanwhile, relies on centralized distribution and proprietary
technologies which can threaten cultural discourse and innovation.
Open Video is the growing movement for transparency, interoperability,
and participation in online video. These qualities provide more
fertile ground for bottom-up innovation and greater protection for
free speech online. Many organizations are already taking steps to
change the nature of video on the web: Mozilla is moving to support
open video formats in Firefox, the Participatory Culture Foundation
promotes open source and standards in video publishing and
distribution, and Wikipedia has increased its focus on the open Theora
codec.
About the Open Video Alliance
The Open Video Alliance is a coalition of leading organizations
dedicated to fostering the growth of open infrastructure, tools, and
standards for the online video medium. Yale Law School's Information
Society Project hosted a stakeholder meeting on October 31st, 2008;
representatives from nearly 30 organizations convened to discuss
common goals for technologists, maker communities, and legal experts.
For more information, see http://openvideoalliance.org.