[okfn-discuss] Data for a graph on Earth

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sun Jan 11 21:01:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 05:44:38PM +0000, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/pub/networks/data/mix/USAir97.net

> Gives the network of airports in the USA (i.e. flight connections plus
> distances). However, (rather unfortunately) it is licensed under a CC
> by-sa-nc which may be a problem for you (might be worth writing to
> Batagelj asking why they are using NC restriction (plus applying (c)
> license to data ...).

> Also you may be after long/lats of airports not their connections in
> which case the best I know of is:

> http://www.airnav.com/airport/

> But this is definitely *not* open and you'll need to write a scraper.

Hi Rufus,

Sorry for such a slow answer, the holidays are over, and thus my time has
vanished again.

This data is really nice. It sure can be useful to create a nice graph.
However, for my use in Mayavi, I would like 3D-positioned data, and the
US is not big enough for the curvature of the Earth to be significant.

What I am really looking for is graph data that is naturally embedded in
3D. Hint, hint, if anyone on this mailing list has this kind of data, and
can release it in an open license, I'll try as hard as I can to do a
really nice visualization out of it.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your answer,

Gaël