[okfn-discuss] data.gov.uk: UK version of data.gov

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Jun 11 10:35:58 UTC 2009

Plans are afoot here in the UK to get moving on the Power of
Information Taskforce's recommendation to build a UK version of
data.gov:

<http://bit.ly/digeng/>
<http://blogs.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/digitalengagement/post/2009/05/22/Information-and-how-to-make-it-useful.aspx>

Yesterday I met up with one of the Cabinet Office team behind the
project to talk about it.

Other than basic discussion of priorities (what formats, what data
etc), the big thing that came out of this was that they were looking
at using CKAN to act as the registry for their datasets -- the actual
data itself would be kept in a separate storage backend elsewhere, be
that an ftp site, a storage grid like our Open Data one or something
like Talis' Connected Commons.

This is very exciting news and its great to have this chance to help
contribute to opening up government data.