[okfn-discuss] Where could OKFN use some free design work?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jun 12 15:28:28 UTC 2009

2009/6/12 James Casbon <casbon at gmail.com>:
> 2009/6/12 Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>:
>> Here are some suggestions for short discrete projects:
>>
>> 1. Overhaul and rework http://www.okfn.org/
>>   * Web design (html + css)
>>   * Rework existing or replace existing theme (target platform: wordpress)
>> 3. Logos (both for OKFN itself and for individual projects such as
>> Shakespeare, Open Economics etc)
>
> What is the current site hosted on?

Currently we use moinmoin -- the versioning support is useful and it
means we have commonality between the main site and the wiki.

However, MoinMoin has some major deficiencies and we have been
planning to move to wordpress for a while.

> If you are going the wordpress way, there are a *lot* of free themes
> around (http://wordpress-plugins.feifei.us/10/wordpress-themes-are-gpl-code/),
> so it may be worth picking one and asking for OKFN specific tweaks -
> this will save a lot of the basic stuff and free time for the logos
> and widgets.

Yes we'd probably want to mod an existing theme. I would emphasize
that we probably do want a fairly custom look-and-feel to distinguish
ourselves (I don't know what people think of our current "box yellow"
theme but it might make sense to stick reasonably close to this for
continuity).

> Decent widgets to put in a wordpress theme would be great.  Things
> like a 'featured project' widget and a 'get involved' widget that can
> be used within a site.  These can simply be html, but if you widgetise
> them you have the potential to allow other wp users to put up a
> 'support okfn' badge.

That's a very good point.

> Another thing that is useful for wordpress is someone who can produce
> page specific templates (eg front page, project page).

Yes that is more what I'm thinking we'll need help with.