[okfn-discuss] Where Does My Money Go: what should we work on first?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Jun 17 18:01:34 UTC 2009

2009/6/16 Benjamin O'Steen <bosteen at gmail.com>:

> It might also be good to think about a non-dynamic visualisation? I
> particularly liked the Death & Taxes poster, if anyone remembers it?
>
> http://www.wallstats.com/deathandtaxes/
>
> Its the poster a little further down the page, black background, lots of
> proportional circles.

Very nice! This seems like a good starting point: give a high-level
overview of main government spending.

What do people think?

If so our first challenge will be getting adequate data (the US is
particularly good in this regard relative to elsewhere -- something we
looked at in our work with EU transparency).

One possible starting point is PESA (Public Expenditure and Statistics);

<http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/pespub_index.htm>