[okfn-discuss] Distributed Storage: Suggestions?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed May 6 12:42:05 BST 2009

2009/5/1 Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> 2009/4/28 Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski at gmail.com>:
[...]

> 1. sector is for highly "read" intensive apps, optimized for extremely
> fast read.

OK.  I feel a feature-grid coming on :)  For us, I guess that is not
ultra-high priority.

> 2. kfs(kosmos) seems to be similar to google file system, where you
> have main server (metaserver), and run chunk servers (how much space
> you have available) , data gets divided into 64mb and send to chunk
> servers. You always have 3 copies of the chunk.  The filesystem (at
> metaserver) seems like one big file server. (+python bindings)

OK. Useful info.

At the moment Allmydata-Tahoe is looking pretty promising. We've
started a basic grid with info here:

<http://grid.okfn.org/>

Next step is to create a nice filesystem like web frontend on top of
the basic web-api they provide.

We also need to grow the grid so if anyone's got a few gigs of spare
server capacity it would be great if they could contribute a node
(using the debian/ubuntu packages installing tahoe turns out to be
pretty painless ...).

PS: all code and content done so far is in the our hg repo at
http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/okfncc/