[okfn-discuss] Distributed Storage: Suggestions?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri May 1 16:22:45 UTC 2009

2009/4/28 Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski at gmail.com>:
> a follow up:
> 1. kosmosfs  www.linux-magazine.com/w3/issue/90/048-051_kosmos.pdf
> 2. sector http://sector.sourceforge.net/doc.html

Thanks for the info. This one looks interesting but not sure what it
offers over e.g. Hadoop which seems more mature and widely used.

> 3. hadoop fs

Hadoop looks very promising but seems more "cluster" oriented rather
than distributed storage oriented. I've collected some more info on
Hadoop in <http://wiki.okfn.org/projects/Distributed_Storage/Research/>.

BTW: I've now started hacking with Julian to try out what seem to be
the 2 best options at the moment: Tahoe and Hadoop. We're keeping our
code and instructions in this public mercurial repo (under dfs):

<http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/okfncc>
<http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/okfncc?file/tip/dfs/>

The main focus is on Tahoe as this looks the most promising option
(plus it is python based!). We've already got a basic install script
and are working on laying a more human-friendly interface over the
basic tahoe DFS structure.

Anyone wanting to get involved in hacking or wanting to volunteer
storage node space please let me know.