[okfn-discuss] Alpha release of Where Does My Money Go? prototype

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Nov 18 17:29:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Mr. Puneet Kishor <punkish at eidesis.org> wrote:
> Is there any data on where the money goes collecting data?
>
> I am particularly interested in spatial information, but would like to have
> numbers that would throw some light on the broader question as well: "How
> much money does <the UK> spend on gathering data?"

Unfortunately we don't yet have data this fine grained. If we had
legislation like the US Federal Funding Accountability and
Transparency Act (2006) then we might have this kind of data all in
one place, but it looks like we're going to have to piece it together
bit by bit.

On the one hand this will be a matter of collating data that is
already out there - and on the other it will involve requesting new
data (perhaps using FOI legislation). For the latter we could use
things like:

  http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/

Any cunning ideas about clever ways to coordinate and execute this
work would be most welcome!

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator