[okfn-discuss] Governance and structure of the Open Knowledge Foundation and its activities

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Nov 19 21:24:11 UTC 2009

[...]
> On Nov 18, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Rob Myers wrote:
>
>> From personal experience, to prevent capture by political cults and
>> special interest groups, to avoid organizational perfectionists, and to
>> prevent decision-making paralysis.
>
> It is our finding that people tend not to participate in groups unless they
> have some sort of interest in the activity of the group. Something like Open
> Knowledge isn't really a target of political heists, is it?

I think Rob is raising important concerns, especially about the
"decision-making" paralysis (which I have seen happen ...)

At the same time Ed I agree with you that one wants to make it easy
for people to participate in governance and to provide simple tools
for doing so -- as you say the risk of "takeover" is probably low in
this case (especially if we keep a close connection between those
"doing stuff" and those "deciding on stuff").

[...]