[okfn-discuss] RawDataNow.com

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Oct 27 19:57:02 UTC 2009

I recently corresponding with Tom Heath about RawDataNow.com (which he
owns [1]) and he's agreed to donate it to be used for a simple site to
expand on what we mean by 'raw data' - and what data publishers can do
to put their data online in raw form.

It would be great to have input from the list about the kinds of
things we could put on the site!

Some ideas:

  * A simple check list of the main things that we mean by 'raw data',
e.g. published in open, machine readable formats, bulk download
facility (as opposed to just available via a shiny web interface), and
so on. (What else could this checklist contain?)
  * Pointing to good examples, other relevant documents and so on.
  * Brief background paragraph with links to Rufus's blog post [2] and
Sir TimBL's TED talk [3]
  * Perhaps in the longer term - a short video explaining all this?
Intended audience would be general public, and prospective raw data
publishers.

Any thoughts?

[1] http://tomheath.com/blog/2009/02/raw-data-now-dot-com/
[2] http://blog.okfn.org/2007/11/07/give-us-the-data-raw-and-give-it-to-us-now/