[okfn-discuss] doi equivalent?

N.L.Scantlebury N.L.Scantlebury at open.ac.uk
Thu Sep 3 08:05:38 UTC 2009

Hi Graham

You might find this useful
http://www.purlz.org/

Non

-----Original Message-----
From: okfn-discuss-bounces at lists.okfn.org [mailto:okfn-discuss-bounces at lists.okfn.org] On Behalf Of graham
Sent: 02 September 2009 20:38
To: okfn-discuss at lists.okfn.org
Subject: [okfn-discuss] doi equivalent?

Hi,

I'm new to this list so this may be a faq - if so please point me in the
right direction!

Is there any free equivalent to the DOI naming system (http://doi.org/) ?

I'm looking for something to generate unique ids for a potentially large
set of publications in .epub format. I'd like something which would let
them be part of a larger ecology when released (as with doi numbers) but
which doesn't cost money (don't have any) and isn't a proprietary system
(not certain about doi - it's certainly copyrighted and trademarked)

Thanks
Graham