[okfn-discuss] The 'open' in Linked Open Data

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Apr 19 07:38:41 UTC 2010

On 18 April 2010 11:56, Stefano Costa <stefano.costa at okfn.org> wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 15/04/2010 alle 19.12 +0100, Rufus Pollock ha scritto:
>> I completely agree this would be an interesting thing to do. I've
>> created this ticket in the incubator/ideas section:
>>
>> http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/ticket/315 (Link linking open
>> data cloud with ckan lod packages and show openness)
>>
>> I think it would be really nice to "colour" in the LOD clouds with
>> info on their actual openness (I wonder if anyone out there has
>> already done anything like this ...)
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ldodds/4043803502/

Ah great, I remember now Leigh mentioning this at the Open Data and
Sem Web meetup.

@Leigh: how did you produce that image? Did you just use the original
SVG source and colour in relevant circles :) ?

> The results don't look very good, both in terms of openness and explicit
> licensing
>
> It would be nice if such metadata could be added straight into the LOD
> graph - or maintained publicly instead of a one-time survey.

We could definitely do this based on the http://ckan.net/group/lod/ --
what is missing is dependencies but these can now be added:
<http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/ticket/253>

Open Knowledge Foundation