[okfn-discuss] Mendely: beyond PDF, annotations in general, other thoughts (some OT)

philippe.aigrain at sopinspace.com philippe.aigrain at sopinspace.com
Sat Jan 2 11:25:59 UTC 2010

Hi Luis,

Right now, you have 2 ways to make enquiries on the future of COMT /
co-ment :
- Creating a ticket on the community site at www.co-ment.org
or
- Writing at contact at co-ment.net (which is just an alias not an email list)

However, it it is of course perfectly OK to ask here (OKFN is part of our
home in the universe).

So the answer to your question is :
- COMT supports markdown import today. You can use it either by installing
the alpha version (http://www.co-ment.org) or by using a demo workspace
that we have created for testers. We would be pleased to count you in, as
well as any other OKFN interested person. Just confirm to my email address
(in copy). I will separately copy the co-ment developers.
- Somewhere between 20 January and end of January we will put in place a
new generation of co-ment Web services based on COMT.

Finally please note that one key enabler for expanding co-ment takeup
would be a OpenDocument to markdown converter (meaning cleaning up all the
styles while keeping some basic structure). John MacFarlane (philosopher
and developer of pandoc) had done some premilanry efforts at this. A
M$Word to markdown (without going through OpenDocument converter would
also be useful) but is clearly more stupidly complex work.

Best,

Philippe