[okfn-discuss] Fwd: Re: [geo-discuss] Responding to the consultation on opening Ordnance Survey's data

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sun Jan 24 14:42:17 UTC 2010

dear Richard,

On 24/01/2010 12:53, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Jo Walsh wrote:
>> "There is nothing to stop you from sitting down on a Sunday evening and
>> framing your views"... "this is your chance to say what you have been
>> thinking all along."
>
> A few Sunday evenings ago, I came up with this:
> http://www.systemeD.net/documents/os_consultation.pdf

Right, you are setting out in detail, concerns about impact of release
of mid-scale raster maps, undercutting viable competitors.
Raw data rather than added value products - generalised vector mapping -
like the VectorLocal product - useful but also a cost in production.

"Aerial imagery is accessible innovation." - I have not really seen this
covered elsewhere - the value of imagery with no restrictions on re-use,
in surveying and software development. A good point.

I am curious why "broadly speaking" you support Option 3, staged and
partial release of critical products now, rather than access to raw data
at largest scale (e.g. MasterMap).

I appreciate the precision of your response and glad you shared it.

I would like to cover the business model questions as well -
the "updater pays" concept for covering some maintenance costs.
A national mapping agency, responsible for coordinating contributions
from a network of local authorities, considered a sunk social cost.

cheers,

jo