[okfn-discuss] Open Scholarship

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 11:48:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 11:37 AM, <jo at frot.org> wrote:

> dear all,
>
> Been thinking with others in Edinburgh about a one-day event on "Open
> Scholarship" up here, perhaps attached to the Repository Fringe in early
> September which will provide space in the e-Science centre the day before.
>
> This would involve, open access to publications and to theses, open
> research data sharing, open archiving and preservation and practises.
> Openness in methods of analysis and algorithms for generalising data.
> Open process for peer review in academic journals, how to make that
> workable. Openness in research funding allocation; openness in
> administrative practice which lowers the burden of work and allows for
> easier shared evaluation of success; etc.
>
> In Scotland in 2004 there was an "open access declaration" which many
> universities signed up to, and an aim would be to draft and approve a
> declaration to go out for wider review.
> http://scurl.ac.uk/WG/OATS/declaration.htm
>
> I was invited to a meeting in Glasgow  in 2006 on Open Scholarship
http://www.lib.gla.ac.uk/openscholarship/  and there was certainly a strong
political will there for Scotalnd to be pre-eminent in Opening scholarship.
I think the Principal of Glasgow spoke to this effect. So I would certainly
think it's appropriate.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics