[okfn-discuss] Procedure for Proposing a new Project

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jul 9 16:26:33 UTC 2010

To follow up Jo's recent emails here's a outline for how to propose a
new OKFN project (or bring an existing one).

Rufus

Please edit/amend on this pad:

<http://okfn.okfnpad.org/governance>

== How to Propose a new Project (or Bring an Existing One) ==

  1. Send an email to propose-project at okfn.org
    * You can also send your email directly to the public
okfn-discuss at lists.okfn.org mailing list
    * Your proposal is likely to be discussed on public lists. If
you're not happy for all or parts of your proposal to be discussed in
this way please say.
  2. In your email say (or point to a document saying):
    * Name/title of the project
    * 1 or 2 sentence purpose
    * 1 or 2 paragraph summary
    * Who is or would be involved. In particular what person(s) would
be responsible for the project
    * [optional] What technical requirements you have
    * [optional] What financial, community or other support (if any) you have
  3. Once we get your email it will be discussed in the
[[wg/coord|Coordination Group/Project Committee]] and we'll get back
to you
    * If approved the project moves into Incubation

=== What Do We Offer ===

  1. Legal infrastructure: a not-for-profit limited liability structure
  2. Technical infrastructure: servers and sysadmin
  3. Support with legal, social and technical questions based on our
extensive experience
  4. Community: being part of a larger, stable and diverse open
knowledge community