[okfn-discuss] Proposal for OpenThesis Project

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 13 13:42:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Daniel Mietchen <
daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > We'd still have to build up enough momentum in step 2 that the idea
> catches
> > on.
> >
> Two more ideas on step 2:
> - Mendeley are building up a "contact per institution" network
> (
> http://www.mendeley.com/blog/community-relations/mendeley-university-advisor-applications-pouring-in%E2%80%A6/
> )
> and may be open for collaboration in that regard.

That's good news - in that it shows it's a useful idea. My guess is that it
shouldn't double up because I can see a wider role for OKF university groups
beyond Mendeley's current interests (e.g. teaching resources, graduate work,
and collecting Open information about the University). I am keen on working
with companies as long as the Openness of the collaboration is assured. I
have seen too many cases in the past where things have become closed down so
it's important to make sure that OKF's rights and contributions are
protected indefinitely.

> - Basically all European universities are members of http://www.eua.be ,
> which could be approached as well. Their current projects:
> http://www.eua.be/eua-projects/current-projects.aspx .

Useful link. FWIW they appear to have decided on a NC policy by design.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics