[okfn-discuss] Proposal for OpenThesis Project

O.Stephens o.stephens at open.ac.uk
Thu Jul 15 12:49:56 UTC 2010

Might be worth having a look at this recent post from the Names project about their Institutional URIs and recommendations from the NISO working group on Institutional Identifiers? http://namesproject.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/identifying-institutions/

> * URL/URI of its repository
> * table of contents of theses (this does not exist in many
> repositories). It might be machine extracted if we can get
> the whole repopsitory TOC
> * annotation of each entry's bibliographic metatdata to
> include Openness of each thesis.

The UKETD DC Application Profile uses the dc.rights to store rights metadata - but I guess we may need something more structured for machine parsability? What might be useful from the UKETD DC AP is the relatively well structured 'embargo' metadata. See http://ethostoolkit.cranfield.ac.uk/tiki-index.php?page_ref_id=47 for more detail.

Clearly this is UK based, and it isn't clear how many repositories have implemented this fully, but it is what EThOS recommends is used, and I think (from memory) the Embargo fields werer intended to be functional for EThOS.

Owen