[okfn-discuss] dead link / expired domain ?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jun 14 07:46:37 UTC 2010

On 14 June 2010 08:21, Tim Hubbard <timjph at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps the okf site should have an 'archive' section with pages for
> historical events such as this where associated materials could be moved
> into.  That would also mean that old OKCONs would be more clearly marked as
> in the past.  If the WSFII site is dead, perhaps a creating a page saying
> what it was would be good.  Quite a lot of sites do this with a banner to
> clearly identify pages that will not be updated.

Just to say the WSFII london stuff, the OKF originally hosted has all
been carefully preserved (its in our mercurial repo) and I've just
reinstated it here:

<http://www.okfn.org/wsfii/>

Unfortunately I don't know what happened to the rest of the WSFII
content (I think we still have the contents of the main wiki set up at
the time of the WSFII London event but have to do some digging to
unearth it as that got handed over to the WSFII "central" and we shut
down the stuff on the okfn.org domain)

> Maintaining institutional memory doesn't seem such a priority when things in
> open data are moving so fast, however believe me (speaking from experience
> as the world right now looks back on 10 years since the human genome project
> was completed) such things are important, else the media will reinvent and
> modify the past for you!

Completely agree Tim and archival is definitely something we should be
aiming to do.

Rufus

> At 00:43 +0100 13/6/10, Jo Walsh wrote:
>>
>> On 12/06/2010 15:26, Stefano Costa wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> at http://www.okfn.org/projects/ there is a link to WSFII pointing to
>>> http://www.okfn.org/wsfii/ but the redirect is apparently pointing to
>>> http://www.wsfii.org/ which is just a spam site.
>>>
>>> And I don't even know what WSFII is :-)
>>
>> WSFII was wonderful. What did it stand for? World *something* Free
>> Information Infrastructures; a conference held in Limehouse Town Hall in
>> 2005 which Rufus and I co-organised with Saul Albert of The People Speak -
>> essentially it was the first Open Knowledge Conference.
>> We did a whole weekend - which the next OKCon could definitely expand to.
>> These were the tracks:
>>
>> Free Networks - Open Geodata - Open Scientific Data - Open Government -
>> Open Hardware - Free Culture - Community Currency Systems
>>
>> World Summit, that was it. There was a group focused on India that ran
>> with the concept, and took the title a lot more seriously than we did.
>> I'm sorry to hear the domain has lapsed, hoping the schedule is still
>> preserved somewhere on the OKF wiki. In my view it was an attempt to "spike
>> out" the collective infrastructure of openess.
>>
>> Open Hardware - is there a movement? Guessing the communities around
>> Arduino (modular sensor stuff?) and RepRap (self-printing 3D printers)
>> are evidence that there is something in sight. Ronja (DIY optical wireless
>> networking) was an amazing project, and its creator had something that
>> looked like an Open Hardware Manifesto.
>>
>> I've lost track of the community currency movement a bit, seen the burst
>> of interest in Hugh Barnard's cclite project recently.
>> Whatever happened to Ripple? etc.
>>
>> Both are much bigger problems - need capital - not the sort of thing we
>> can just hack about with minds code and words.
>>
>> So that, roughly, was WSFII. There was a WSFII publication as part of a
>> related series of events - Node.London - don't ask me how that ended.

> Dr Tim Hubbard                         email: th at sanger.ac.uk
> Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute        Tel (direct): +44 1223 496886
> Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           Tel (switch): +44 1223 834244
> Hinxton, Cambridgeshire. CB10 1SA.     Fax: +44 1223 496802

> The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research Limited,
> a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a company registered
> in England with number 2742969, whose registered office is 215 Euston Road,
> London, NW1 2BE.

Open Knowledge Foundation