[okfn-discuss] Businesses unwilling to share data, but keen on government doing it

Julian Todd julian at goatchurch.org.uk
Wed Jun 30 23:15:55 UTC 2010

I've discovered that in the oil and gas sector, essentially all the
data is open and public.  No one conceals that they have found a
productive well or how much was there.  Have a look round the data
available from Norway
    http://www.npd.no/en/news/Exploration-drilling-results/

There's equivalent UK data, but it's much less structured.  Drilling
holes is expensive enough that the industry cannot afford to waste
time not using the very best data -- even if it does mean larger
companies can't dump on smaller companies by withholding useful data
from them.

I'd draw a very close analogy between oil exploration and
pharmaceuticals -- no one knows exactly where all the oil fields are,
just as no one knows which chemicals work as effective drugs.  There's
a large element of detective work, derived from the experimental data
(the more the better).  They bid for the rights to exploit the fields.

The reason why the pharmaceutical industry can get away with their
structure of waste is they can afford it and defend it.  No one can
challenge it, because there is no common space.  Every pharmaceutical
company could be assigning its 100 research scientists into the same
dry area while avoiding completely wide open untapped sectors, but you
can't make it visible in the way you can with oil rigs on a map.

BTW, for map of on-shore oil drills go here:
   http://scraperwiki.com/scrapers/show/uk-land-oil-wells/map/

The UK drilling data is available from this webpage.  Perhaps some
open data keenies can check it out as an example that closed data is
not always the default.
   https://www.og.decc.gov.uk/information/

Julian.