[okfn-discuss] New name for ckan.net: call for proposals

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sun Nov 21 11:49:33 UTC 2010

On 11/20/2010 01:13 PM, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> We are therefore issuing a call for proposals for a new name / domain
> name for CKAN.net!

"The Open Knowledge Directory".

or

"The Open Data Directory".

or

"The Open Dataset Directory"

I prefer sticking with "knowledge" as it keeps the genetic link to both
CKAN and OKF, but "dataset" is the most precisely descriptive.

> ## CKAN Tagline
>
> Related to this, thought on a better 'tagline' describing the purpose
> of ckan.net is also needed (and any general thoughts on what people
> think the core purpose is that this tagline should capture).
> Suggestions please!

It needs to capture the fact that these are a) datasets b) on all
subjects c) that you can download and use freely d) rather than any
half-assed non-commercial APIs, etc. .

e.g.:

"The world's knowledge at your fingers"

"Datasets to download and use freely"