[okfn-discuss] New name for ckan.net: call for proposals

William Waites ww at eris.okfn.org
Sun Nov 21 12:19:21 UTC 2010

* [2010-11-21 12:02:14 +0000] Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> écrit:

] I think the use of "Data" could be misleading as people may think this is a
] repository for full data sets (of cource it may be that in part and may
] evolve to that). But my understanding is that CKAN is primarily for what I
] would call metadata

In fact I had the vague impression that there was some sort of
equivocation or lack of clarity on the part of some of the speakers
having to do with the differences between data and information and
knowledge. I need to think about it some more before I can clearly
articulate my observation I think, but the distinctions wanted
sharpening with linked-data which really is more about statements than
tables. But chosing the right words here, and trying to use them
consistently is important for communicating what this stuff is and why
it is useful to the wider public.

Cheers,
-w
--