[okfn-discuss] New name for ckan.net: call for proposals

Jessy Kate jessy.cowansharp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 17:21:10 UTC 2010

hmm, well with all the descriptions so far i'm actually still not really
clear what "it" is :).

maybe it's worth describing why someone would use it? (and why they would
use it over other data repositories?)

ie, would i used it to store arbitrary datasets? or would i use it to link
to other datasets? could it be compared to, say, infochimps? they don't
necessarily host all the data listed there. the unifying thing is that it's
a place to index and store information about what other data is out there
(and, of course, to optionally charge for it).

is this like infochimps for free and open data?

jessy

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 8:18 AM, John Bywater <
john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net> wrote:

> Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>
>> I think the use of "Data" could be misleading as people may think this is
>> repository for full data sets (of cource it may be that in part and may
>> evolve to that). But my understanding is that CKAN is primarily for what I
>> would call metadata
>>

> Yes, metadata about data sets, but also metadata about data *services*.
>
> Within the UK's Location Information Infrastructure, CKAN is being referred
> to both as a 'metadata catalogue service' (model API), and as a 'metadata
> discovery service' (model API + Drupal Web UI).
>

> J.

Jessy Cowan-Sharp
http://jessykate.com