[okfn-discuss] [ckan-discuss] New name for ckan.net: call for proposals

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Sun Nov 21 17:46:13 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> Speaking with people about CKAN.net over the last year it has been
> clear that the name CKAN / Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network
> does a poor job describing what the site does (it's far too geeky and
> hard to spell!)

Personally, I always loved the name CKAN. But I was a Perl hacker in
another life. Even though I don't use Perl much anymore I remain a
huge fan of how the CPAN community worked.

I always hoped to see CKAN embrace the (A)rchive function a bit more,
by actually starting to archive data, and not just being a directory
to where datasets live elsewhere. If there aren't any plans to do that
anymore I guess a name change might be important.

I agree with Jessy, that it might be best to start with a brief
statement of who would be using CKAN, and what they would be
doing...before jumping to new names and taglines.

Geekily yours,
//Ed