[okfn-discuss] New name for ckan.net: call for proposals

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sun Nov 21 20:56:48 UTC 2010

On 11/21/2010 08:12 PM, John Bywater wrote:

> So the "archive network" part was always a bit of a misnomer. Obviously
> enough, the issue with archiving the data (which Perl scripts mostly
> don't suffer from) is that archiving data sets can require very large
> storage capacity. So it makes sense to have the data decentralised.

I'm currently trying to find Ars Electronica's datasets online again. I
downloaded them a year or so ago, and there's no sign of them anywhere
other than ManyEyes now. Metadata is no good if it points to a dead
resource, and storage and bandwidth costs are continuing to decrease. I
think that a repository and mirror system, such as GNU and the various
GNU/Linux distros use, would be a very good thing.

- Rob.