[okfn-discuss] Fwd: Datapkg 0.7b released

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Oct 14 09:22:26 UTC 2010

On 13 October 2010 12:41, Michael Chelen <michael.chelen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Great to see upload options appearing. What are the file size limits?

There are no current file size limits but I'd suggest ~ 100Mb for the present.

NB: to use the storage you will have to install the OFS package (we
should probably make this a requirement!):

<http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ofs>

As way of background it is worth explaining how the default datapkg
'ckan' storage works:

1. It is backed off Google IO (storage kindly donated to the OKF)

2. We have to deal with the issue of allowing a general client to
upload to this storage but not giving them arbitrary access to the
storage backend.

3. This can be solved various ways (e.g. amazon -- at least with
upload form -- provide a sort of signing procedure). We solve this
using an upload proxy [1] implementing the OFS RestStore interface
[2].

> It will be interesting to find out what new features can be added through the plugin system.

Current documentation on how to extend datapkg (feedback wanted!):

<http://packages.python.org/datapkg/extending.html>

[1]: http://bitbucket.org/pudo/repod
[2]: http://bitbucket.org/okfn/ofs/src/tip/ofs/remote/reststore.py