[okfn-discuss] [odc-discuss] PDDL required for JISC projects by default

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 14 18:27:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> On 14 October 2010 13:52, Tom Heath <tom.heath at talis.com> wrote:
> > Great news :D
> >
> > Does this mean we need some additional sets of norms defined? IIRC
> > there are not many defined at the moment (though I may be wrong)...
>
> Yes, at the moment the only norms are the 'attribution-sharealike' ones:
>
> <http://www.opendatacommons.org/norms/odc-by-sa/>
>
> I think it would be easy to create, at least, the attribution norms
> simply via judicious 'cutting' from these ones. Do people think that
> would be useful?
>
> Yes.

I also think it would be useful to think about some of the recurring
concerns that people have about making their content open. Some we may feel
are inappropriate but here is a try:

* respect privacy of humans, sensitive places (e.g. nesting sites). This
seems to be generally agreed as a norm
* repect the quality of information. This is not always possible but copy
and re-use should use best endeavour to preserve things such as character
encoding, technical information, quality of graphics. It is unacceptable to
distribute corrupted information which is attributed to someone not
responsible.
* respect the integrity of information. Very difficult, but taking snippets
out of context can be damaging. Removing packaging and metadata (e.g.
table/figure captions) can also distort information.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics