[okfn-discuss] Building the (Open) Data Ecosystem

koltzenburg at w4w.net koltzenburg at w4w.net
Fri Apr 1 15:10:47 UTC 2011

hi Rufus,

interesting
would you mind using a wiki instead of a blog for the discussion?

why?
I consider wikis a much better tool for discussing not one-way but in a multi-way ecosystem

looking forward to join in
Claudie

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 14:45:18 +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote
> Hi All,
>
> I've just posted up a new piece (with hand-drawn diagrams!) on the
> Foundation's blog about building the Open Data Ecosystem:
>
> <http://blog.okfn.org/2011/03/31/building-the-open-data-ecosystem/>
>
> I've included the first few paragraphs of the piece below. I'd be very
> interested in any feedback or thoughts people had!
>
> Regards,
>
> Rufus
>
> ## The Present: A One-Way Street
>
> At the current time, the basic model for data processing is a [UTF-8?]“one way
> [UTF-8?]street”. Sources of data, such as government, publish data out into
> the world, where, (if we are lucky) it is processed by intermediaries
> such as app creators or analysts, before finally being consumed by end
> users1.
>
> It is a one way street because there is no feedback loop, no sharing
> of data back to publishers and no sharing between intermediaries.
>
> So what should be different?
>
> ## The Future: An Ecosystem
>
> What we should have is an ecosystem. In an ecosystem there are data
> cycles: infomediaries [UTF-8?]— intermediate consumers of data such as
> builders of apps and data wranglers [UTF-8?]— should also be publishers who
> share back their cleaned / integrated / packaged data into the
> ecosystem in a reusable way [UTF-8?]— these cleaned and integrated datasets
> being, of course, often more valuable than the original source.
>
> In addition, corrected data, or relevant [UTF-8?]“patches” should find their
> way back to data producers so data quality improves at the source.
> Finally, end users of data need not be passive consumers but should be
> also be able to contribute back [UTF-8?]— flagging errors, or submitting
> corrections themselves.
>
> With the introduction of data cycles we have a real ecosystem not a
> one way street and this ecosystem thrives on collaboration,
> componentization and open data.
>
> [.... more at <http://blog.okfn.org/2011/03/31/building-the-open-data-ecosystem/>]

thanks & cheers,
Claudia

Best regards,
Claudia Koltzenburg
~~~
C. Koltzenburg, Managing editor
Cellular Therapy and Transplantation, http://www.ctt-journal.com
<managingeditor at ctt-journal.com>

CTT supports the
Wikipedia survey for experts: http://survey.nitens.org/?sid=21693
(open until 15 April 2011)
Recent article on the survey: Wikipedia wants more contributions from academics
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/mar/29/wikipedia-survey-academic-contributions
~~~