[okfn-discuss] [LibrePlanet-US-MA] [cc-community] 4-YEAR PLAN ideas for LibrePlanet/Students for Free Culture @Hampshire College

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at member.fsf.org
Thu Dec 1 00:13:47 UTC 2011

Hi Dorothy,

Thanks for the feedback! This is great-- I forgot mention that we're also
looking for ideas that might reach beyond the scope of free culture, but
may be tangentially related. For example making more data open, as I
mentioned, or even helping Hampshire improve their scattered and
disorganized web services. Basically, making improvements to school
infrastructure with a mindfullness of free software and free culture
issues. Things that would make sense to do after turning Hampshire into a
free culture school.

Anyways, could you explain the Open Knowledge space a bit more? Hampshire
has a zine library as well as a freely licensed wiki called Hampedia. Are
you thinking more of a library of physical copies of freely licensed work,
or a hackerspace, or something else entirely? Physical spaces might be
really difficult to esablish...but that's exactly the level of
ambitiousness we want to be going for! [=

With regards to business models, what kind of exploration did you have in
mind? As a student group, we are aware of services like Kickstarter and
Flattr and other alternative payment models, but in what context do you
imagine us applying this to Hampshire College? We do plan on promoting
these platforms to students here, but we're really interested in permanent
institutional changes that we can fight for.

We are looking for more speakers so we'll put Maddogg Hall on the list. One
concern though: does he tend to come from this standpoint of "open" rather
than "free"? We tend to be a little careful about openwashing. It has
landed the FLOSS movement in a place where so-called "open" platforms are
used to restrict freedom. Stock Android, the primary example of Linux gone
mainstream, is based on free software, but is not distributed as such. Most
popular eBook readers are also Linux-based, but you can't buy an eBook
reader that doesn't come with DRM. We love Creative Commons, but we want to
avoid promoting things that endorse the non-free CC licenses or take a
wishy-washy stance as tends to happen with openwashing:
http://freedomdefined.org/Definition

--
.sarvōdaya

[𝄽#] The Silent Number