[okfn-discuss] The DataTank - new mailinglist

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 21:40:30 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

Earlier this week I have asked Naomi to create a mailinglist for The
DataTank. You can subscribe over here when interested:

Some questions that may rise:

* The DataTank? Another data portal project?

Yes and no. The DataTank is a project written in PHP which allows
someone to quickly set up a scraper and transform it into a RESTful API
(yes we have URI's for things/respresentations as well). Using existing
vocabularies, you can link each object inside a resource to the semantic
web. This makes RDF output possible (test with .rdf/n3/ttl/...).

More information: http://www.thedatatank.org. Our first release is tomorrow.

A presentation we gave at OGDCamp in Warsaw:
http://www.slideshare.net/MielSande/the-datatank-25112011

* Why a mailinglist at OKFN?

We recently started a Belgian chapter of the OKFN. This project will be
used for some hackaton events, will be used for a public transport
project and interest from other parties is growing. We want the legal
structure behind OKFN Belgium (a non-profit) to maintain the copyright
of The DataTank using a fiduciary license agreement. To make the link
with the OKFN even more clear, we thought OKFN's mailing lists would be
a great place to host it.

Kind regards,

Pieter

--