[okfn-discuss] Working Group on Transport Data?

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Fri Dec 9 23:34:50 UTC 2011

Fantastic guys, so here we go...

I've just set up a mailing list for the group here and added those who have
already expressed their interest:

@Flo & Stefan & Stefan - would you be interested in joining the working
group?

I've also stubbed a wiki page here:
http://wiki.okfn.org/Working_Groups/Transport - which it would be great if
you guys to take a look at and keep adding to.

Suggested next steps (short term):

* Invite people to the mailing list (someone from FixMyTransport?)
* Clarify the aims of the group, suggest projects
* Put up a blog post announcing the birth or the group, encouraging people
to get involved (volunteers to write this?)
* Set up a call in the new year to discuss plans, do introductions
* Think of some small, medium and large tasks people can get involved with

Longer term - pull together a track at OKFest?

What do people think?

Very excited, I have quite wanted to do this for a while!

Lucy

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Pieter Colpaert
<pieter.colpaert at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working on the iRail project in Belgium. It is an effort to collect
> all data concerning transport in one non-profit organisation, release it as
> open data and support a community which does awesome projects with the
> data. More information: http://project.iRail.be
>
> I would be very interested and active in the working group.
>
> I have added the open transport guy from The Netherlands in CC (Stefan)
> and Flo Detig, who is doing a teleportr project which I'm sure he'll be
> able to tell more about.
>
> Pieter
>

> On 12/06/2011 03:05 PM, elf Pavlik wrote:
>
>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>> Excerpts from Jonathan Gray's message of 2011-12-06 10:15:44 +0000:
>>
>>> Another reminder about how great it would be to have more open data on
>>> public transport systems - in the EU and beyond!
>>>
>>> http://ec.europa.eu/transport/**its/multimodal-planners/index_**en.htm<http://ec.europa.eu/transport/its/multimodal-planners/index_en.htm>
>>>
>>> Peter, Pieter, Daniel, everyone: any interest in starting a working
>>> group dedicated to looking at transport data?
>>>
>>> J.
>>>
>> On open data day last weekend I worked on topic of public transport in
>> Berlin. As you may know Stefan (in cc) does some work in this direction:
>> http://stefanwehrmeyer.com/**projects/movingdots/#0<http://stefanwehrmeyer.com/projects/movingdots/#0>
>>
>> I also made a connection with folks in Ulm (Benjamin in cc) who tackle
>> with this topic over there:
>> http://ulmapi-de.no.de/map , http://ulmapi.de
>>
>> They feel interested in joining forces with others to work on this
>> issue...
>>
>> So, yes myself I feel very interested in broader collaboration on facing
>> this challenge!
>>
>> =)
>> ~ elf Pavlik ~

> iRail vzw/asbl