[okfn-discuss] [open-science] SPARC author addendum uses CC-NC licence and now all hybrid publishers have followed

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Dec 23 17:46:21 UTC 2011

On 23/12/11 13:12, Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 06:53:50PM +0000, Rob Myers wrote:
>>> In Open Source community (and many of those don't have permanent jobs)
>>> it's standard to use BSD-like licences. There is only one group using
>>> GPL (SA-like) and that's because they have inherited it. They hate it
>>> and are actively working to rewrite the whole system.
>
>> The GPL is the most widely used Free Software licence.
>
> It is going down:
> http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/files/gplusage.png

Ah, Black Duck. The presence of Ms-PL on the graph is telling.

The GPL is still the most widely used licence, and will remain for some
time to come even if we accept that graph and if nothing happens to
convince more people that permissive licences are not the best way of
protecting their freedom.

- Rob.