[okfn-discuss] [open-science] SPARC author addendum uses CC-NC licence and now all hybrid publishers have followed

Peter Suber peter.suber at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 21:27:49 UTC 2011

Peter MR,

I have some data and links in this article from last summer.
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/07-02-11.htm#copyright

Here's the key excerpt (from #9):

When I checked last week (June 24, 2011), 1,448 out of 6,647 journals in
> the DOAJ, or 21.8%, used some kind of CC license.

http://www.doaj.org/?func=licensedJournals

As of the same date, 747 or 11.2% had the SPARC Europe Seal of Approval,
> which requires CC-BY.
> http://www.doaj.org/?func=sealedJournals

OA repositories are rarely in a position to obtain the permissions needed
> for libre OA.  Hence, we can't criticize or complain when most of their
> deposits are gratis, not libre.  But OA journals can easily obtain the
> permissions needed for libre OA.  When they don't offer libre OA, they have
> no excuse.  This is one of the largest missed opportunities of the OA
> movement to date.
> http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/10-02-09.htm#2

Today most libre OA is gold OA.  But unfortunately it's not yet the case
> that most gold OA is libre OA, and unfortunately it's not even close.

     Best,
     Peter S.

Peter Suber
bit.ly/suber-gplus