[okfn-discuss] OKCon 2011: Drafts for CFP & announce

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Sun Feb 6 14:19:06 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,
Sören told me to put some work on the CFP on his behalf and see that the
CFP gets spread at the right places.
On Friday I started to move around some things and also created the
Easychair account.
Sören told me, that the way, they were doing it last year, was really
complicated and that he really recommends using Easychair, because it is
easier (I'm not sure how it was done last year, though).

> * Should emphasize it is *not* an academic conference (though we do
> have an academic stream). So things like 'camera-ready' papers are
> completely optional
I would propose to separate the Academic track from the rest completely.
The academic track can be quite classic (like submitting a paper and
then have proceedings) .
The reason, why I think this will be successful is the 15+3 Working
Groups. I think/hope/assume there will be one or two papers out of each
group... It could just be something like a progress report.

The rest non-academic part is really *not* emphasized at the moment. I
already asked Daniel about the rooms that are available and there seem
to be a lot...
So we could have some of the following in addition to an academic track:
- Lightning talks (on the second day and submission is open until 5
minutes in advance )
- People can apply for desks in the lobby, where they can present their
projects.
- People can apply for rooms, where they can host a discussions about a
topic (e.g. I'm thinking about having such a session for the Open Data
in Linguisitics WG, but it would also be nice to see one for
bibliographic data as they have similar problems...)
- There can be something like a poster session
- People could apply for a presentation (on the main, non-academic track)

If I look at the 4 topics, 2 (Open Science, Open Access Technologies)
seem to be more scientific, while the other 2 (Law, Society and
Democracy, Free/Open culture) seem more of general interest. So we
should put the more general first and then say: "There is also an
academic track" which would emphasize the focus of the conference.
I will talk to Daniel again on Monday and revise the CFP according to
the above, if nobody objects.
Cheers,
Sebastian