[okfn-discuss] creative commons with list of changes

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Mon Feb 21 19:55:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Hanssens Bart <Bart.Hanssens at fedict.be>wrote:

> sorry if this question has been asked before, I'm looking for a
> suitable license for a dataset that allows reuse and derivative works,
> but must contain a list of what has been changed.
>
> In this particular case, it is about reuse of the list of medicines that
> have been officially approved. This is useful for, say, pharmacists,
> but perhaps an (IT) supplier only wants to use a certain subset of it,
> or maybe stores the list in a database that also contains other items
> (sun cream etc), or add price tags and additional info on it. So IMHO
> that would be a derivative work.
>
> I assume I can use an Apache license, but I was hoping that a
> Creative Commons could be used (since it seems more appropriate
> for data vs code). However, it seems that CC only has licenses that
> either permit or forbid derivative works, but without the need to
> document what has been changed ? Suggestions are welcome :-)

AFAICT both Apache2 and CC licenses require noting change, CC licenses
perhaps a little more strongly. I'm not sure how thorough of documentation
you wish to require.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html 4(2):

You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating that
You changed the files;

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/legalcode 3(b):

to create and Reproduce Adaptations provided that any such Adaptation,
including any translation in any medium, takes reasonable steps to clearly
label, demarcate or otherwise identify that changes were made to the
original Work. For example, a translation could be marked "The original work
was translated from English to Spanish," or a modification could indicate
"The original work has been modified.";

Mike

--
https://creativecommons.net/ml