[okfn-discuss] Google research awards

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jan 18 11:55:30 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Though the following might be of interest to those within or close to
academia (There are two application deadlines - 1st of Feb. and 1st of
August AFAICT). I note they specifically want research that is
'open-sourced' (and I imagine open data'd or content'd).

http://research.google.com/university/relations/research_awards.html

The purpose of this program is to facilitate more interaction between
Google and academia and also nurture stronger relations and
partnerships with universities. The intent of the awards program is to
support academic research aimed at improving information access
(defined broadly). Google funds Research Awards unrestricted and
retains no intellectual property from the research. We prefer if the
results from the research are open sourced and widely published.
Awards through this program are for one year in the range from
$10K-$150K. Areas that are of particular interest include (but are not
limited to):

Economics and market algorithms
Education innovation
Geo/maps
Health
Human-computer interaction
Information retrieval, extraction, and organization
Machine learning and data mining
Machine translation
Mobile
Multi-media search and audio/video processing
Natural language processing
Policy and standards
Security and privacy
Social systems
Software Engineering
Software and hardware systems infrastructure
Speech
Structured data and database management

Award recipients will be assigned a Google Sponsor, through whom they
can discuss research directions, provide progress updates, engage in
knowledge transfer, etc. Google maintains an academic environment that
we would like to share with our award recipients, so we invite them to
visit our facilities, to give talks related to their work, and to
engage in discussions with our research groups. By sharing new ideas
and key insights, we hope that both Google and award recipients will
find mutual benefits.