[okfn-discuss] [open-science] Nice mention from the Wikimedia Foundation on open science

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 25 22:56:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Daniel Mietchen <
daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> (2) WMF-produced data released according to this policy-to-be is to be
> clearly labeled for reusability, and I think even an adoption of the
> Panton Principles is not out of reach. However, there is currently no
> Wikipedia entry on them, so any help with setting one up would be
> welcome (I started http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Panton_Principles
> last year, which could be imported, but starting from scratch may be
> better). Once an entry is there in one language, expanding coverage to
> other languages (especially those for which translations of the PP
> already exist) should be straightforward.
>
> Daniel - great idea. I thought of "transcribing"  the Citizendium to
Wikipedia but I think it's better that you do. It's well written but will
need editing.

I think it would be really exciting if we could get the Panton "OpenData"
sticker introduced Wikipedia infoboxes. It would immediately alert the world
and be a really powerful viral tool. It would also translate to DBPedia and
label that information as OKD-compliant

> (3) We could think of using a place like
> http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/User:OpenScientist/Panton_Papers
> to draft the Panton Papers.

Seems a good idea of getting others involved

> (8) Another focus of the project is the re-use of suitably licensed
> materials from open access/ open data/ open science sources on
> Wikimedia projects. So if you see opportunities along these lines,
> please use them and/ or let me know.

I think that using Open Bibliography to gather the references in WP would be
fantastic. I also think that if resources at the end of the bibliographic
ref were Open they could be labelled as such (or vice versa).

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics