[okfn-discuss] Einstein University - free university/ academic social network

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Sat Mar 19 19:22:27 UTC 2011

Looks like a potentially great project. Cool that you're using Semantic
Mediawiki!

I see in the footer of http://en.einstein-university.org/Main_Page the
license used is CC-BY-NC-ND. I'd suggest changing this immediately.

Unless you're getting copyright assignment from all contributors and
enabling mass collaboration through some other permission, ND may not work
at all.

NC is generally suboptimal for educational resources, and specifically
disrecommended for everything by OKF, which seems particularly relevant
given this is their list. :-) See
http://www.opendefinition.org/okd/#8-no-discrimination-against-fields-of-endeavor

The license prevents collaborating with the vast universe of other open
educational projects, including Wikipedia, see
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/wiki/Resolution:Licensing_policy

Probably the most obvious license for you to use would be the one that
Wikipedia does, CC-BY-SA.

Mike

https://creativecommons.net/ml