[okfn-discuss] Terrible Search results for "open license"

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Fri May 20 07:26:49 UTC 2011

OKFN is not very friendly to itself when it comes to SEO.

Most of our big projects live on their own domains. Even our smaller
projects are on subdomains. From what I understand, these are considered
as separate sites by search engines.

The upshot is that the organisation's web presences do not support each
other. Therefore, each one ends up fighting for ranking.

The situation may actually be worse than that. I remember hearing that
Google has begun to frown upon syndicated content. This is to counteract
spammers adding duplicate content on trending topics. If have copy on a
wiki, then duplicate that copy to another area, we may actually be harming
ourselves.

Tim McNamara