[okfn-discuss] Weekly update bulletin, 28th November 2011

Laura Newman laura.newman at okfn.org
Mon Nov 28 17:43:46 UTC 2011

Hi all!

Here is the first of our *new* weekly update bulletins. Please find below a
summary of the key events that are coming up, as well as an overview of the
exciting things that some of the working groups have been getting up to
recently.

We hope to produce this bulletin on a weekly basis, following on from the
new projects update call which will be taking place on a Monday. If you
have something you would like us to include, you can either get in touch
with your working group coordinator, or send information directly to us at
info at okfn.org.

We hope you enjoy this opportunity to find out about all the great things
that are taking place across the Open Knowledge Network!

*
# Key Updates & Events

** Open Data Day, Saturday 3rd December. A team will be meeting at the
Barbican, but you can get involved from wherever you are! See
http://www.meetup.com/OpenKnowledgeFoundation/London-GB/536442/
* CKAN is currently hiring UX/UI designers and front end folk. Get in touch
with Ira if you know of anyone who may be suitable.
* Ira and Mark MacGillivray will be attending the International Digital
Curation Conference on Wednesday 30th December. Get in touch if you know of
people there who they should talk to.
* Open Linguistics LOD Drive to form a linguistics LOD cloud, ongoing until
Thursday 15th December.

*# Updates from individual projects
*
*## Open Humanities (James Harriman-Smith)*

* Setting up Open Humanities website (James Harriman-Smith and Sam Leon)
* Continuing discussions about incorporating new annotations from another
system into Open Shakespeare
* Organised first Open Humanities Skype call for 5pm Wednesday 14th
December.
*
## Open Development (Tim Davies)*

* Supporting open-development working group on behalf of AidInfo.org
* Group has been very focussed on aid data in the run up to a High Level
Forum on Aid Effectiveness, but is hoping to broaden in the future.
* Held satellite workshop at recent Open Data Camp. Discussions emerging
around seeking funding for a part-time co-ordinator to engage with NGOs,
Govs and Communities around open development data (being led by Claudia
Schwegmann http://www.openaid.de/)

*## Open Linguistics (Sebastian Nordhoff)
*
* Continuing organziation workshop on Linked Data in Linguistics as part of
the Annual Meeting of the German Linguistics Society http://ldl2012.lod2.eu/
* Linguistic LOD Drive until December 15 to form a linguistics LOD cloud
* Several publications by working group members in scientific outlets to
promote LOD

*## CKAN (Ira Bolychevsky)*

* CKAN is the open source open data platform provider, powering data.gov.uk,
openspending, and soon the world. Info/client site: http://ckan.org/.
Community site for anyone to add open data to: http://thedatahub.org/
* 3 from the CKAN team will be at the Barbican for Open Data Day on Sat
3rd: http://ddj.okfnpad.org/open-data-day. Get Involved!
* Going to the International Digital Curation Conference:
http://www.dcc.ac.uk/node/9172 next Wednesday, timesharing with Mark
MacGillivray. Let me know if you know anyone there I should talk to.
* Currently hiring & interviewing UX/UI designers & front end folk. If you
know anyone good, please let me know ASAP.
* Ira has been CKAN Product owner since July, project managing
data.gov.uk& helping out community & client management

*## Open Spending (Friedrich Lindenberg)*

* Hired new programmer in Germany
* UI Loading for OpenSpending, getting ready for Open Data Day
* Some data wrangling: EU FTS, CAP, Italy, UK25k -> New tooling in recon
library, messytables.

*## Public Domain Review (Adam Green)*

* Working with Sam Leon to try get our sign up numbers increasing – if
anyone has any ideas then would be great to hear them!
* Also any general thoughts on the site and the work we are doing…

*## OKFN Labs (Tom Rees)*

* We’re booting up an umbrella project to take all the smaller OKFN
projects under its wing. So on the surface, the Foundation isn’t doing 54
things – it’s doing three or so (CKAN, OpenSpending, Labs…) and all our
experiments are wrapped up in Labs. It’s an incubator and a place to start
new experiments.
* Also an Okfn.org redesign: Building a modern webdesign for the OKFN
homepage & subsites. This has been on our TODO list for too long!

*## New Foundation Coordinator (Laura James)*

* Focusing on fundraising and bids in Nov/Dec