[okfn-discuss] [open-science] Practical reproducible science; implications for data storage

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 20:34:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com>wrote:

> Matthew Brett wrote:
> > any prospect of this kind of infrastructure
> > being available as an open service?
> > What about OpenStack?  But then,
> > who will pay for the infrastructure?
>
> Hello Matthew and all,
>
> I have been working on a organizational solution to the lack of "Free
> as in Freedom" hosting.
>
> I am very excited about my findings, but can find few others with
> these same interests.
>
> Is this within the scope of OKFN,

Almost certainly a big YES.

The OKFN is pragmatic and has also asserted that their must be no technical
barriers to Openness while recognising that computing is not zero cost. So
if it costs (say) 10 dollars per year that should not be a barrier to
openness while 1000 almost certainly is. My rough rule is "similar to the
cost of posting it" - but that's just me.

If they build a walled garden, however, then that's a different problem

> and if not, does anyone here know of
> groups working on sharing the costs of production to retain User
> Freedom in the physical realm?
>
> Sincerely,
> Patrick Anderson
> http://ImputedProduction.BlogSpot.com