[okfn-discuss] [open-science] Practical reproducible science; implications for data storage

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:11:05 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:
> Matthew Brett wrote:
>> Could you say more about what your
>> approach is and what you have found?
>
> Owners of for-profit corporations cannot help the Consumers because
> their Investors demand Profit which only occurs if the Product is
> sold.
>
> The Product does not need to be sold if the co-owners of the means of
> production are the very same people who will Consume that Product.
>
> Profit measures consumer dependence, and is *eliminated* when the
> Investor is the Consumer who will accept Product as the Return for
> risk.
>
> Profit collected from non-owners (on the growth-edge) must be treated
> as the Payer's Investment so each Consumer becomes a co-owner in
> the means of production for that which he needs the outputs causing
> that Payer to slowly accumulate the property ownership needed to stop
> buying Product - for the co-owner of a cow does not buy milk because
> he own his % already.
>
> The idea is to organize Consumers to pre-pay for some good or service
> (say cell-phone service), and then use those funds to purchase the
> hardware needed to achieve that goal so that we can finally send
> messages to each other for the *real* Costs of those messages instead
> of
> padding the pockets of those who intend to forever keep us in
> subjugation in their quest to keep Price above Costs.
>
> See http://SocialSufficiencyCoalition.BlogSpot.com for more details.

I did scan your blog, thanks for the summary though.

It seems to me the substantial work would be to gather a group of
people interested in setting up the service and another (possibly
overlapping) group who will do the work.  Then there would have to be
some model for how the service would be sustained and governed.

For example, I could imagine that the OKFN might consider seeding an
OpenStack instance and putting some political work into building up
the funding for such a model.  Has OKFN thought on those lines?  Are
they interesting?

Best,

Matthew