[okfn-discuss] Cultural Appropriation and IP

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at member.fsf.org
Sun Apr 22 17:30:16 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I'm writing a paper an cultural appropriation and IP.

Specifically, there are one or two points I want to make.
 * IP is not a good way to protect against cultural appropriation
 * IP may encourag cultural appropriation

For the former, I need to show how IP has been ineffective for protecting
marginalized cultures from appropriation, how there may be a separate legal
framework, and draw on examles of successful protections in the past. If a
legal framework is not necessary, what else can be done?

For the latter, it's a point i'm not sure can be made, but any help
building or criticizing the idea is appreciated!

What do you all think? Please forward this to anyone you think would be
knowledgeable on this

--
☮ ♥ Ⓐ
     .danny

This email is: [  ] bloggable   [ x ] shareable with consent   [  ] lethal
if repeated or forwarded

[𝄽#] The Silent Number - http://thesilentnumber.me/

µBlog: http://identi.ca/dpic
voice: +1.617.340.3661