[okfn-discuss] The FOSsil Bank and FOSsil Bank Updates

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 02:43:28 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

For a couple of years, I've kept the FOSsil Bank
wiki,<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/>which is a collection of libre
resources (as well as proprietary resources
under what I call shareable
licences<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/shareable-resources>).
For a couple of months, I've regularly posted updates about what new
entries have been added to the wiki. These updates go to the Living Libre
blog <http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/> and the Free Culture discussion
well received.

There are two reasons I'm bringing this up here:

1. I thought people might be interested in checking out the FOSsil Bank
wiki.
2. I thought people might be interested in getting the FOSsil Bank updates
(they're roughly fortnightly).

I've included today's update in this email. It's a bit shorter than the
average update. My question to you folks is: Would it be useful if I sent
every FOSsil Bank update to this mailing list? If so, it's no trouble for
me since I'm already sending it to the Free Culture list. If it wouldn't be
useful, anyone who's interested in getting the updates could instead sign
up to the Living Libre blog <http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/> or the Free

Let me know what you folks think. I enjoy the time I spend on the wiki and
I'd like it to reach as wide an audience in the libre community as
possible.

---

Hi folks,

I’ve decided that the weekly schedule for these updates was a bit
ambitious: I don’t always find that much content. But here’s the last few
weeks of stuff.

As always, let me know of any libre resources that are out there—or add
them to the FOSsil Bank yourselves!
#FundFreeCulture

When I find a libre licensed work up on Kickstarter, IndieGoGo or another
crowdfunding tool, I’ll tweet about it with the tag #FundFreeCulture. Feel
free to do the same!

   -

   Ronaldo Tours<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/npeaches/ronaldo-tours-a-travel-webseries>is
a documentary about a fictional Italian. The compilation will be CC
   BY-NC-SA, but the assets will be CC BY. ($265 of $500, 41 days to go)
   -

   Lunatics Animated Series
Pilot<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2144275086/lunatics-animated-series-pilot-no-children-in-spac>is
an animated science fiction TV episode. CC BY-SA ($1,744 of $100,000,
17
   days to go)

Libre Resources

   -

   Libre Projects <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:libre-projects> is
   a very attractive website that sorts libre projects by type. Various
   licences.
   -

   Fan-made reformatted versions of Swords &
Wizardry<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:swords-and-wizardry>and
the WaRP
   System <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:wanton-role-playing-system>are
available. OGL.
   -

   Long-time advocate for shareable resources, David Wiley, is beginning a
   course called Ed Startup 101
   <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:ed-startup-101>introducing educators
   to entrepreneurship. CC BY.
   -

   Adobe has released a font, Source Sans
Pro,<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:source-sans-pro>under the SIL
Open Font License.

Liberated Pixel Cup Entries

Last month, the Liberated Pixel Cup resulted in dozens of pieces of pixel
art being released under libre licences. This month, almost fifty open
source games <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:liberated-pixel-cup>have
been released as part of the second phase of the project. I’ve only
played a few of the HTML5 games, but some are rather good!

I’m planning to post a few reviews of the games on the Living Libre blog.
Proprietary Shareable Resources

   - Yaruki Zero
Games<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:yaruki-zero-games>has
published two supplements for the game
   *Cards against Humanity, *also under CC BY-NC-SA.

*Chris Sakkas
**Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/> and the Living
Libre blog <http://www.livinglibre.com> and Twitter
feed<https://twitter.com/#%21/living_libre>